Repairing modern equipment I found a burnt SMD resistor. Can I use an old discrete resistor instead? I have many in my stock and I want to take advantage.


Two problems can make it difficult to use an old traditional component instead of an SMD. The first is the difficulty in welding in the original place. It is necessary to bend and place the terminals exactly where the original burnt was to be soldered. The second is precisely the space available. There is not always space to put the new discreet type component in place of the burned one. But, if the reader gets solder and there is space, if the component has the same specifications, nothing prevents its use.




N° of component